Whether you have terrapin or water turtles at home it is important to make sure they are being fed correctly. This, in addition to influencing their health, is also important for the care of their shell. For this reason, we present you some of the best options in turtles foods:
1. Zoo Med RE20043 Water Turtle Food
Zoo Med offers you a series of foods where the food for water turtles ZM113 stands out. This product contains 1.27 kilograms of food in granulated presentation, offering buoyancy and easy consumption for the reptiles.
The jar has dimensions of 25.4 x 12.7 x 14.6 centimeters and has an airtight lid so you can keep the food sealed, fresh, and always ready to eat.
In addition to this, it is noted that the formulation of this product does not contain artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, so it is practically organic and, therefore, healthier for your pets. Because of this, ZM113 is considered by some to be possibly the best food for turtles.
Regarding its composition, the Zoo Med product offers 25% protein in its content to meet the nutritional needs of the animal combined with vitamins and minerals to care for its shell.
Since this could be the best turtle food of the moment, it would not hurt if you know its pros and cons:
- Formula: The formula of this food contains vitamins, minerals, and proteins to satisfy the requirements of your turtle.
- Presentation: The food comes in granulated form with high buoyancy so as not to sink in the pond water.
- Jar: The jar has an airtight lid that will keep food fresh and in good condition for longer.
- Quantity: With the purchase, you will get more than 1 kilogram of food for your turtle, so it will last a long time.
- Size: Depending on the species, the size of the pellets is likely to be too large, although they can be chopped.
2. Tetra ReptoMin turtle food
Another good alternative in food for water turtles is that of Tetra. This product stands out for containing a diet rich in calcium and phosphorus, which help the growth and health of both bones and shells.
In this sense, it is also striking that Tetra’s food does not present an unpleasant odor, thanks to the fact that its ingredients have added yucca extract which, in turn, provides better digestion to the turtles to keep the pond more cleansed.
Reading suggestions; A tortoise as a pet: what to think about?
On the other hand, the 270 gram can of turtle food presents the food in the form of curved pellets that resemble larvae, making it more attractive to the pet and, at the same time, easier to digest. Thanks to this, the capable Tetra product becomes one of the best turtle foods of 2021.
Tetra might just be the best turtle food brand and its ReptoMin product offers striking benefits:
- Presentation: The ReptoMin food comes in the form of curved pellets to resemble worm larvae and be more attractive to the turtle.
- Hydration: The pellets, when falling into the pond water, hydrate and soften to facilitate digestion.
- Smell: They have little odor thanks to the composition and extracts added to the recipe.
- Jar: The jar is comfortable to handle, it has a lid to keep it sealed and the amount of food lasts a long time.
- Baby turtles: It is not advisable to use this food for baby turtles due to the hardness with which they could be found before the pellet is completely hydrated.
3. Sera Raffy Vital turtle food
Sera Raffy Vital is a balanced turtle food that can be administered to turtles and other reptiles. It is a vegetarian mixture rich in fibers to improve the pet’s digestion, allowing it to absorb all the nutrients necessary for its growth.
Added to this, Sera’s tortoise food also includes herbs and fish protein in small amounts to not neglect this dietary need. In addition, it is free of synthetic substances such as preservatives and flavorings to be fresher, pure, and safe to consume.
The food of this product is presented in the form of curved pellets and small tablets, which you can serve in a bowl so that your turtles come to eat when they feel like it. While on the other hand, the bottle in this presentation is 1,000 milliliters, enough to supply several weeks of feeding before you have to worry about acquiring a new one.
In case you don’t know what food for turtles to buy, you can evaluate Sera’s products as they are valued positively:
- Formula: Raffy Vital offers a balanced diet for herbivorous reptiles with a certain percentage of protein to cover all their needs.
- Benefits: This food provides reinforcement for the animal’s defenses and provides vitamins and minerals.
- Rickets: They can be used to treat rickets by being able to improve the health of the bones and the shell of the turtle.
- Purity: It does not contain chemicals or preservatives.
- Hardness: The hardness of the pellets and tablets can be too much for small turtles, so it is advisable to moisten them with water beforehand.
4. Testumix Seed Mix For Turtle food
From the Testumix brand, we find a striking product if you want your pet to have access to much fresher food than that obtained from a sealed bottle.
This product consists of 75 grams of terrestrial seeds designed to be sown in the terrarium where you have your turtle or in the garden if you have it freely. After being sown, the seeds will germinate various types of edible plants that meet the requirements of a balanced diet.
Therefore, this food for tortoises could be considered self-sustaining, since the animal will eat as much as it wants and the roots will allow the plant to grow again.
Reading suggestions; 15 Fun Reptile Facts: How Many Do You Know?
Therefore, if you do not know what is the best food for turtles, you may be interested in sowing some seeds so that the same animal can have access to the vegetarian diet recommended by veterinarians.
To properly choose the food that you will offer your turtles, it is necessary to know its pros and cons in advance:
- Seeds: The seeds in the pack are mostly clovers and dandelions, but other varieties are also included.
- Quantity: The pot contains 75 grams of these seeds so that you have more than enough to sow in the terrarium.
- Ages: The sprouts of the seeds can be consumed by young and adult turtles without problems.
- Consumption: The composition of the product allows feeding, in addition to land turtles, other types of reptiles.
- Time: Before buying, consider that it takes between 1 to 2 weeks for the seeds to germinate.
5. King British Turtle food
In the category of turtle food for freshwater turtles, this King British product stands out as being among the cheapest on the list. It is a food pot that contains 200 grams to feed your pets for a while since water turtles eat relatively little, but several times a day depending on their age and species.
Analyzing its formula, we find that it contains a lot of protein by having food pellets composed of shrimp and krill, as well as the basic proteins, vitamins, and minerals for the diet. However, it is recommended to supplement the food with vegetables to balance it better.
On the other hand, the food pot can easily fit in one hand, avoiding taking up too much space so that you can have it near the terrarium when feeding your turtles, and thanks to its hermetic lid, the pellets will not lose their integrity.
With so many options, it can be difficult to choose food for your turtles, so you should check these pros and cons:
- Recipe: The King British product has been designed to offer a balanced diet according to the nutritional requirements of domestic turtles.
- Additives: Contains vitamin, mineral, and protein additives that promote health and energy in your pet.
- Pellets: It comes in the form of pellets so that they are easier to digest, as well as float in water.
- Presentation: The food is stored in its own container with a hermetic lid to facilitate its handling.
- Dust: Due to the fragility of the pellets, it is possible to find some of them powdered at the bottom of the can.
6. Sera Raffy P turtle food
Sera is a well-known brand in the turtle food market, so its Raffy P product could not be missing from our selection. This option can last up to more than a month depending on the number of turtles you have. It comes in an 18 x 21.5 x 21.5-centimeter jar weighing approximately 880 grams so you can hold it without discomfort. It has its respective lid and handles to facilitate its handling.
For its part, the food formula is essentially made up of vegetables, but it also contains aquatic ingredients to supply protein, minerals, and salts. Thanks to this, it can be consumed by turtles of all ages as long as they can chew the pellets without problems.
Also, this food for freshwater turtles has a high buoyancy so that your pets can eat them easily and they soften when they come into contact with water.
In case you have been interested in purchasing this product, here we will show you its most striking characteristics:
- Quantity: One of the remarkable aspects of this option is the amount of food in the pot since it can last several weeks without problems.
- Composition: It is a mainly vegetarian diet, but it has its respective dose of protein and vitamins for your pet.
- Ages: It can be administered to young and adult turtles, as it meets their food needs.
- Presentation: The food is pellet type, which can float in the water and softens with its contact.
- Hardness: Since it is essentially food for water turtles, the pellets have considerable hardness.